Friday, August 31, 2012

Circumstances change, but creating an environment of positivity can be a constant.

Researchers have found that 10% of our happiness comes from external forces, so are we focusing on the right things?

To be happy, we're told, we need to join every different social network there is and tote up our virtual friends and 'likes' on what we say and do. But there's something sadly artificial and forced about this kind of 'fun'. There's a superficial satisfaction maybe, but it's all too harried to provide real happiness. Often the greater contentment comes from simplification, from paring pleasures down to their most basic.

What researchers have found is that it's connection, mindfulness, gratitude, and play that brings us the most joy. Sure that new pair of shoes makes you feel good for a moment, but once you've debuted them for the first time, how long does that happiness stick?

We have to assess if we are working to live or living to work. Assess if all our 'stuff' is really bringing us all that much joy. Assess if we truly prefer experiencing the world, our life, and the people in it through tv/phone/computer screens instead of face to face, hands-on interaction.

I started making these assessments a few months ago and was surprised with what I found. So I decided to change it.

This decision to change came at a funny (read perfect) time in my life as I am currently unemployed and so therefore free to explore myself in my own time. It's also funny timing because I've been noticing a shift in the way of thinking of my friends around me. A couple of my friends randomly started talking to me about how they have been feeling the same way about a few things and so are taking some actions to change as well by not using social media apps on their phones for a month.

You may think I'm crazy or weird, but that's okay because I'm probably a little of both, but I think there is a huge change that is going to occur in the near future. I either want to be part of that change, or at least prepared for it, and so below is my personal challenges for the month of September.

I invite you to join in where possible and see what kind of changes you notice in your own life and happiness.


  • Start every morning with yoga and meditation/prayer. - "Spend some time alone to reconnect with your life's direction." I'm currently making a lot of big decisions about my life and honestly I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing via my God, guides, and the universe. As well as yoga providing me with a nice form of exercise and activity to get my body feeling even better.
  • Only use my phone for calls and texting, and only in limited amounts. - Honestly my goal here is to free myself from the notion that I NEED a smart-phone. Because I don't. Which means, yep, no Instagram. So don't be offended if I'm taking longer than normal to respond. For a quicker response, come knock on my door and hang out for a while.
  • Only spend 30 minutes to an hour online each day. - This one seems silly to me, but I know I'll miss it, plus that's where most everyone else will still be and so I have to visit to keep up...for now.
  • Spend more time outside. - Nature is amazing, and I think we have forgotten that. The heat can be a deterrent, but it's cooling down now, or it's always nice early morning/late evening. Garden, read, walk, bike, eat, sing, etc...just do it outside.
  • Learn a new skill, or improve on ones I have. - "Learn to be self-sufficient in order to feel empowered." Lately I've been trying to figure out the whole gardening thing so as to produce some of my own food. I was lent a book called "Farm City" that talks about urban farming that I'm getting a lot of great ideas from, but I'm far from having the whole thing perfected. Eventually I want to be able to make most of my own items, everything from food to soaps to my lip balm.
And lastly...
  • No alcohol, drugs, soda, fast-food, or meat. - Probably my hardest one honestly, but I want a clear mind and body during this process. Plus I'm sure I'll feel amazing, and maybe even look more amazing along with it. ;) 
So there it is, my September challenge. I may, and probably will, fall short on some of this, but I'm definitely going to give it my best shot.

Like I said, join me if you can, or at the very least help keep me accountable. Make it easier for me to leave the world of social-media behind. And if you think I'm looking a little happier, healthier, and bright, now you'll know why. 

3 comments:

  1. I like this :) I almost got a cheap flip phone instead of another smart phone, and I almost wish I had. Social media apps distract me from my kids. However, there are times that I love having a smartphone for looking up necessary stuff online. I guess it's a catch 22. Hey, I have a new blog now too. If you want to follow and have time during your 30 minutes online, feel free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I actually went through and read all of your posts that I had missed last night! I'm the same with looking stuff up on my phone, that's the one thing I can't figure out how to mesh together.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete